A Travellerspoint blog

Grandkid Travel in Alaska

And the Alaska Adventures Begin

After about 4 delays, and 1-1/2 hours our plane took off. Kids had been jumping up and down and were ready to get on any plane to anywhere.

We got seated and the plane started the take-off process. The plane powered up, in order to take off and the boys’ eyes got big. Sequoia was trying to sit up, on the edge of the seat and was hanging on for dear life. Finally, I convinced Sequoia to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Our flight into San Francisco was so late that there was no time to buy our sushi, we could only look longingly as we ran for the next gate. Huffing and puffing we arrived at our gate, and fortunately the plane was waiting for us. They’d saved the entire row for us. It was on that flight that Sequoia announced that he wanted to be a pilot when he grows up.

On Tues, we picked up our RV, shopped in Costco and Carrs, then drove down to Seward in the Kenai Peninsula. We found a camping spot along the shore. Kids were happy to run along the shore finding jellyfish and shells, with a sea otter following them as they ran up and down.
Wed was the first day of our planned adventures. We had a 5-hour cruise out into the Kenai Fjords. The boat left at 12 noon but we had to be at the harbor by 11. The harbor was just a 5-minute drive away but we still wanted to be a little early to park and stop by the National Park Visitor Center.
We like the Major Marine Tour because they have a Ranger on board and now, also have a representative from the SeaLife Center. The ranger was pointing out the wildlife and was answering questions the entire cruise. The woman from the Sea Life led the Jr. Ranger program, holding short informative sessions throughout the 5 hours. She gave examples of various ways animals keep warm, skulls, pointing out glaciers, and giving pointers on how to remember the 5 kinds of salmon. A Jr. Ranger ceremony was held a little before docking so that the kids received their badges on board the ship. IMG_20160727_162849059.jpg

I was a little disappointed that kids did not see many whales or any dolphins, but wildlife cannot be counted on to show up for any particular person. However, we did see lots of other wildlife and kids didn’t seem to care. IMG_201607..4810151_HDR.jpg

When the cruise started back for the harbor, all of us went and sat down at our assigned table. We’d been standing in the cold wet wind for nearly 4 hours. Dale was already at the table sleeping, he’d taken some medication for sea sickness and it had finally kicked in.

Lucian and Zaya started singing and playing arm wrestling games, which Zaya always won. They also talked and talked, completely oblivious to everyone around them. There were several older couples around us who became completely enthralled with the kids. I realized that they were laughing non-stop at the kids’ antics and were entertained until we arrived back at the dock. A woman from one table came up and told me that the kids were so well behaved, she thought they were so great. Another told me that what we were doing with our grandkids was what she wished she could do.
Yes, we are lucky that we have good health and that I can work so we can make these trips. We also have great kids who trust us enough to take these banshees.

Posted by Miss Chris 09:59 Archived in USA Tagged ocean nature travel alaska outdoors grandkids kenai rv_travel

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.